Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a few weeks and really enjoy the board, so I finally decided to join up and post.

Anyways, I bought my explorer about a month ago... Year 2000 Explorer XLS with 50,000 miles on the clock. The car drives perfectly, and everything seems flawless... with the exception of one small thing.

In the time I've had the car, there have been maybe 3 occassions where the wipers have sort of decided to come on by themselves for a few swipes when they are not turned on... and when they do I can't turn them off?!? Maybe an electrical issue or slight malfunction with the wiper mechanism?? Sometimes when I'm driving if I turn the radio off I can hear a slight sparadic clicking under the steering column (could be completely un-related, or maybe a loose connection causing an occassional short in the system?? however I can't seem to find a correlation in the clicking and the wipers, so it could just be completely un-realted/my imagination?!)

The other little thing was that twice and only twice (that I've noticed) while I've been driving the truck, both the "4x4 high" and "4x4 low" lights in the dash have flashed on and off in synch with each other for maybe 30 seconds, and then stopped flashing again.

Has anyone experienced any issues like this or know anything about them? Trying to figure out what it could be and how serious it is, so I can take care of it ASAP if it is. Any and all comments, and information are appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The wiper issue sounds like a loose wire of some sort. The 4x4 sounds like the same thing or it could be a sensor malfunctioning.

Welcome, btw.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I know there's one for the wiper arm having to do with it not making contact with the windshield properly. Not sure about this issue specifically.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The TSB was for the rear wiper, not the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just started thinking you guys might be on to something... like the LONG shot that this is a common problem and might be a recall or something, and I found this:

http://www.safetyalerts.com/recall/a/00/072.htm

This definitely sounds like it could be the issue here. Maybe I'll have to schedule an appointment with a stealership to get it looked it.

Hopefully it'll take care of it, and hopefully this will help anyone else who has had a similar problem

·
Registered
22 Posts
the problem with the wipers just sounds like your accidentally perssing the wiper switch in so it cleans the windows i know that if u tap it reel quick it wipes 3 times but doesnt spray washer fluid

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am guessing a bad ground. I know somtimes if a ground comes off, it will make the device activate. It happened to me with my wig wags in my head lights. The ground came off and they started coming on and off

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
mastrjonsn, if you check the link slappy pants just posted, it describes his problem exactly.
For some reason, this sentence just strikes me as funny. I just can't see Joe saying 'mastrjonsn' and 'slappy pants' with a straight face.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
mastrjonsn, if you check the link slappy pants just posted, it describes his problem exactly.
For some reason, this sentence just strikes me as funny. I just can't see Joe saying 'mastrjonsn' and 'slappy pants' with a straight face.
LOL! :rofl2: You know I just realized that his username is supposed to be "master johnson"...

Oh and, I don't think anyone can say "master johnson" and "slappy pants" with a straight face :rofl2:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Nope I can't say either with a straight face.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts