Explorer Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of Tranny fluid should I get, the local Advanceautoparts has the Valvaline Mercron... Whould that be fine? And from the Haynes book I have it says the transfer case use's the Mercron tranny fluid as well, is this correct?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I use AAMCO Mercon V synthetic Blend.

I change the oil in the trany every time I change the oil in the engine, Why you ask?

Well I was very surprised at how little fluid the transmission holds, and I figured that that little amount gets one heck of a work out.

So since I'm under the ride anyway why not change both oils at the same time. to include the filters!

And yes Haynes is correct.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you flushed it, you'd see that there's a lot more than you think.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Agreed, but.

Just dropping the pan is messy enough, and I figure there should be no need in draining the torque converter, nor blowing pressurized air through the lines since it gets fresh juice with every oil change. I also thought about buying a plug (for the Pan) but thought what's the point if I change the filter all the time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, montaineer, what does it say on you trans dipstick, Mine says Mercon fliuid, it dosen't say Mercron V anywhere, (I have a'97 XLT 5.0) so I'm going to drain the trans, and TQ, and add MObil 1 ATF with supporst Mercron.

Does anyboady see a problem with this??????

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I was told by FORD

"As long as it has mercon in it you are good", but do not use Dexron.

Transmission = Mercon

Transfer case = Mercon

Front & Rear Axle = SAE 80or90 gear oil

(on models w/frnt locking diff. add 2oz friction modifier Ford part#est-M2C118-A)

(on models w/rear lockind diff. use only locking diff fluid Ford part#ESP-M2C154-A & add 4oz friction modifier Ford part#est-M2C118-A)

(If diff is traction-lok limited slip use 4oz friction modifier Ford part#C8AZ-19B546)

Now whats so hard to understand?

I went to Ford to get the correct additive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm, the Mobil 1 ATF (along with many others says Dextron III/ Mercron etc.... That should be ok right, since almost every bottle of ATF I looked at states about the same thing....

I thought the Front and Rear took 75-145w??? (that's what the Haynes book I have says (I don't have an onwers manual) I was thinkg of getting the Redline gear oil for the front and rear. would this be ok? And the Redline Limited slip additive for the rear as well...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well I usually don't post unless I actually have something useful to say, in this instance I think I do. I am sure Joe knows of places that have a transmission pump setup, I know K-Mart did before we left the states I had the filter changed on it then they used a pump to run new fluid in and all the old fluid out it costs a bit if I remember right I brought in my own filter and pan gasket which they replaced for me after they did the total trans flush, yes it wastes a little fluid, but life goes on. Now the transmission part I am speaking of they remove the lines from your radiator and hook them up to a pump that is made for doing transmission's the cost for it when I had it done was 79 bucks plus I think I paid an hour of labor at 35 bucks for them to do the trans filter for me.Obviously prices may have risen or gone down but I think this is the best way to go, then you just change the filter my owners manual say's every 10 to 15k miles. Then when the fluid is still semi dirty after a fresh filter change you can go and have it flushed again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts