Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what oil do you guys recomend for my 98 xlt v8 w/ 100,000 mi. I was reading somewhere that if you are over 75000 you shouldnt switch to synthetic and that you should use a higher milage oil b/c the synthetic might cause some things to leak.I know it sounds crazy but who knows .My previous stang had 120, 000 and i switched to royal purple oil and i never had any probs ..What do you guys recomend for oil?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
My X has 178k and we tried an oil that was part synthetic at 170k. It was basically just an experiment and its worked pretty good. Leaking Ive heard happens sometimes using synthetic though. Maybe someone else has some input

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would continue to use what you've been using. Why change now?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I would continue to use what you've been using. Why change now?
Probably because you dont have to change the synthetic oil as often

Plus, I think hes wondering that since he has high miles, if he should change the oil type. I dunno, could be wrong

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I tired the High Mileage oil from valvoline, because It had a rebate on it(which Im still waiting for 1/2 yr:? ). It ran pretty good at first....but I definately didn't like how it ran. Just changed to motorcraft oil/filter, it runs great so far. About 140k miles btw

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
[..]

Probably because you dont have to change the synthetic oil as often

Plus, I think hes wondering that since he has high miles, if he should change the oil type. I dunno, could be wrong
I'm saying don't change the oil you've been using. I don't see any point in it. I've been using Mobil1 for quite a while but I switched around 50,000 and I still change the oil every 5000. The problem with going longer miles is that the oil filter also goes longer miles so even if you run synthetic, you still have to change the oil filter.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I see what your saying. Yea, I know some people have told me to change others say dont change, who knows. I was told though, that you dont need to change the oil filter when you use synthetic. I asked my dad because I thought I would have to too, but my dad asked a mechanic and he said ya dont have to. So we didnt.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A lot of people I have talked to with high mileage vehicles that have switched to synthetic oil say they have leaks after changing to it. Now I can honestly say I think they are right I now have seepage in places that I have never had before of course I am meticulous about my engine and I am going to spray it off this weekend and monitor the seepage. I have a 176k miles on it and was using a part synthetic for those first 174k Now I have seepage in several places that I have never had any from before. Odd in my opinion but could just be seals going bad who knows. None the less yes do change the oil filter too, hence the word filter, so now tell your dad to go and slap that mechanic silly.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yeah, the oil is still going to pick up contaminents at the same rate as dino oil so you'll still need to change your filter at the same interval.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Re: what oil do you guys recomend for my 98 xlt v8 w/ 100,00

See, I was worried about that. Too many people have too many different opinions. I really dont know who to follow.
Some people say change the oil every 3k miles, the manual says 5k and others say you can go 10k. What am I supposed to do!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Every 5000 should be good unless you use if in extreem conditions, thats what the manual says, it wount hurt to change it at every 3000 but why cange it at 3000 when you can do it at 5000 and get around the same results. My company vehicle runs most of the day and they only let us change it every 5000 miles (I really dont agree on this since I feel that this is extreem conditions) it's got 85,000 miles withing any engine problems and like I said stays running most of the day.

I would change the filter like was stated above, it is a filter and catches the particles and I would think it should be changed (just my openion)

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Well, Ill have to tell my dad bout that filter, even tho its been in the X for 8500 miles already. Oh well

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
BTW, in the couple of filter studies I've read, the Motorcraft ranks right near the top. That's why I use it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not changing the oil filter for those mile's is not going to seriously harm your engine the flow of oil may be slightly reduced though. I would just make sure I change it next oil change, and yes if you drive shorter than 15 minutes that is also considered severe duty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts