Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size are the front door speakers?

And the rear?

Anybody should know the answer.. almost all of you guys have baught new speakers.

Anybody?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats weird kuz my brother baught some for christmas last year... they were 5X7 and they didnt fit... weird but I guess I can try again lol

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
thats because they are 5x8s i beleive, you can make any speaker work though, but i think you can make 6x9s fit

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What size comes stock?

I just want to replace them, I dont want to have to try to make diff. sizes fit lol

so 5X7's in the front aand.... what about the back?

I thought the ones he got last year were 5x7's... Maybe I should just take the panels off and look at the speakers huh?

lol

I didnt think of that.

Oh wait... I just did

[attachment=9737:attachment]

[attachment=9738:attachment]

5x7s where exactly the same size as my '96 JBL speakers.

Those look like the ones he got last year but they didnt fit.

Same size he got too

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
5x7, 6x8.

They are the same thing. That is what is stock in my Mounty. It is a 97 so I assume 95-97 is the same.

I have some Eclipse 5x7s (that will fit) that I may want to get rid of if I can find my other Polk.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5x7, 6x8.

They are the same thing. That is what is stock in my Mounty. It is a 97 so I assume 95-97 is the same.

I have some Eclipse 5x7s (that will fit) that I may want to get rid of if I can find my other Polk.

Oh so all 4 doors take the same size??

How many speakers you have? and how much $$ you want 4 them?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have 4 door speakers. On the rear there is another cutout one both sides for one more. They end up being in where your carpet is on your panels if you cut them out. I have four of the Eclipse, but I can not find my other Polk at the moment (i only have 3) but if I do I will PM you and let you know I will get rid of the Eclipse.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
like others have said stock size is 5x7 or 6x8. But you are not limited to that in any way. however i do not suggest you goto a 6x9 (others may disagree) but there is a good chance you will get unwanted vibration?distortion from having to mount on a riser. But do invest in some dynamat or something comparable.

i have apline type r 5x7 coaxials in back, and 5 1/4" round and 1" tweeter in front they built a custom bracket to fit them in but i originally wanted to mount the tweeter on the door or A pillar but this way install was free so i didnt argue.

the 5 1/4" rounds did sound better than the 5x7 on the wall in the show room and the salesman said they will sound better in my truck up front than an oval shaped speaker.

Too bad he was wrong, my rear speakers sound better than my front ones and can handle higher volume before distortion when compared to the front. Yes i know i could make them all sound better by adding a 4 channel amp, but i dont really want to spend $800 CDN on an amp right now. Before i got my sub (10" boston G2, and boston GT 20 amp) i had gone into the shop looking to amplify my speakers not add a sub, but it was the same money for either option and both made the speakers sound better. and i decided if i want to i can then add more power to them down the road.

a friend of mine has a similar setup in his im sorry to say 2005 civic Si 4 door (not sure if americans get this model) but thats besides the point, he has the same speakers but went with a 12" alpine type R sub and matching amp as well as added a 4 channel amp to his speakers. he has too much bass for my liking but his speakers sound alot more crisp than mine.

Just sharing my thoughts through experience.

Oh and BTW i am not a fan of the Sony Xplode speakers, i put them in my previous car (1998 Honda Prelude type SH) and they sounded worse than stock in the car (sounded great in the show room), and i blew one of them in a month and the others sounded distorted and aweful. Not impressed. I had a Panasonic H.U. in that too, but no sub. Maybe i got a bad set or something but i took them back under warranty and the guy helped me swap for some alpine's but for the price i only got type s' which were a vast improvement to the sony's and the stockers but could have been better had thy been r's or x's. But to each his own. I love my alpines now, but i think in my next car i will either try JL or Boston depending on price and what not, but who knows what will happen.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
like others have said stock size is 5x7 or 6x8. But you are not limited to that in any way. however i do not suggest you goto a 6x9 (others may disagree) but there is a good chance you will get unwanted vibration?distortion from having to mount on a riser. But do invest in some dynamat or something comparable.

Oh and BTW i am not a fan of the Sony Xplode speakers, i put them in my previous car (1998 Honda Prelude type SH) and they sounded worse than stock in the car (sounded great in the show room), and i blew one of them in a month and the others sounded distorted and aweful. Not impressed. I had a Panasonic H.U. in that too, but no sub. Maybe i got a bad set or something but i took them back under warranty and the guy helped me swap for some alpine's but for the price i only got type s' which were a vast improvement to the sony's and the stockers but could have been better had thy been r's or x's. But to each his own. I love my alpines now, but i think in my next car i will either try JL or Boston depending on price and what not, but who knows what will happen.

Yeah, I'll go stock.

I think the last pair were pioneer. they were 200 Watt. But now all 3 are blown (We took the fron pass. side out when we were going to replace them and never put it back.

The front drivers side it SHOOOT whenever I put ANY sound to it it makes that horrible noise.

and the rear ones are blown also, Not as bad though. So after I get the new speakers (Asking for some for christmas) I want to get the HU that I have been talking about getting. The Jennen.

Then some subs.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
that sounds pretty good, do you have a brand of speaker in mind?

most will go H.U. before speakers, but in your case, you need new speakers before a H.U. haha.

However you will not here the best sound out of your new speakers without a better H.U. than stock (im assuming you still have the Ford OE one). a sub will not only give you bass that you want, it takes the sub bass out of the midrange in the speakers and gives better sound clarity. So dont think if you have a sub or subs you have to bump them all the time, im still amazed at how much better my speakers are with a sub. with the sub set the way you like it (mine is tuned so that its barely noticable at low volume but gets as loud as i want at higher volumes) infact some of my friends cant tell its on at around 10 voume level and then i turn it up to about 25 and they know its on haha.

When i was planning my sound system i was going for sound quality and clarity not volume and bass, but those are both acheivable when i want/need them to be.

Also make sure you have a good enough battery/power source to utilize your sound. On certain songs (like ludacris #1 spot for example) the bass is so strong that when i am driving at night with my lights on (including fogs) with the volume turned up to about 25-30 my lights dim with the bass, which is not good at all. i can almost hear the alternator screaming "help cough cough stop cough turn it down cough cough cough." so if my battery needs replacing before i get a new truck i will be buying an optima yellow top. and if my alternator goes, i will replace it with an aftermarket higher powered one.

Just something to think about when you have a system, and how its affecting the vehicle. Dont want to be bumping some tunes down the highway, burn out your alternator and be stuck waiting for a tow.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that sounds pretty good, do you have a brand of speaker in mind?

Just something to think about when you have a system, and how its affecting the vehicle. Dont want to be bumping some tunes down the highway, burn out your alternator and be stuck waiting for a tow.

I'm thinking Pioneer?

Yeah, even when the motor is off, and I listen to the radio for 5+ min. when I start it, the guage is down really low.

And when we're driving, and we have the wipers on, the heater, the headlights, radio, and the blinker is on, the guage drops tramendacly(SP?)

Almost like when we had the wrong size serpentine belt on (They sold us one for a 5.0) we BARELY made it to Kragen. the lights were so dim, we even had to turn the foglights off so we could get a little more power, but we couldnt see without them.

So I should get a new ALT. too, any idea as to how much that will cost?

Oh, and in the mornings, when i go out to start the truck to warm it up. the ALT. makes a wierd noise. But when I unplug the air conditioning. it stops, I took it in with the AC plugged in, and it was making that noise and they told me I was crazy...sooo.....

The subs, I'm thinking Kicker or JL

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh and BTW i am not a fan of the Sony Xplode speakers, i put them in my previous car (1998 Honda Prelude type SH) and they sounded worse than stock in the car (sounded great in the show room), and i blew one of them in a month and the others sounded distorted and aweful. Not impressed.

haha i've heard that from tooooo many ppl.
i've had these over a year now i think...they sound 100x better then my stock JBL's..much crisper..but you must remember everything else on mine is stock(HU,sub,back speakers,amp) but im very happy with them and they handle full volume all day just about every day(i know i know i'll hurt my ears..blah blah) but i <3 them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.