Explorer Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..
Having trouble with my timing chain, I figure if i get it fixed (tensioner) it will just go again later on.. Looking at a straight swap ( reconditioned) but it will go too...??
Is there any other engine that will fit into the 2nd gen Explorer?? Ive looked for a second hand V8 2nd gen explorer but i cant find any in Australia...
So if anyone one knows what engines would fit and what else i need to add, Ie Trans etc. I would much appreciate it... Or even if once the timing chain kit is installed into the current engine, will it or wont it happen again... ( i like the sohc v6, good enough power, but the timing issue is a turn off )

Thanks all...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, like any engine/machine, parts wear out. I just replaced my timing belt in my 4runner and in my Honda. Pretty big job, but you won't need to do it again for quite some time. I would just replace it and keep on truckin'.

Reactions: DoraDaExplora

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I have a friend in Australia who had a 99 Explorer. I gather from him and others that you can't get the 302 parts there, not enough of them. The trans is non existent there too.

So your only real option is to repair or replace the 4.0 SOHC you have. I suggest collecting all of the parts needed to do the whole job, and find a labor source there who you can trust, and doesn't cost too much.

The parts there are way too high, you need to find all of the part numbers, and buy them from US sources. You or the mechanic will need the special TDC tool kit also, about $150 on eBay sometimes.

The SOHC is not a bad engine, after the valvetrain issues have been taken care of. There are several suspect parts in all 97-01 models. The replacement parts are 2002+ designs, better, but still not suitable for 150K miles or more. The old 97-01 parts need to be replaced in all of those, and the new parts should be done at about 75kmiles regularly. If the parts are left on there and fail, the engine will be ruined.

Do the $500-1500 repair, or swap to a newer 2002 4.0 SOHC engine, or sell the truck. You don't want to pay for a new engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much..

Thank you for the reply's I appreciate it..

@ Don... Can I drop a 2002 engine straight into the 2000 explorer? Are they the same engine?

@ 98fex.. Thanks for the link mate... I see he knows what he is on about... Refreshing... lol.. looks like its a holiday to sunny QLD...

Thanks again to everyone that replyed..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Don.. I gather I can put any of the v6 engines upto 2010 into the 2000 explorer...?

A bit of info.. I took the truck into the FOrd Dealership here in Aus... I was told by a helpful Service team there, that Ford doesnt want anything to do with the Explorers anymore.. They dont have the explorer on there official website either... It's like asking can you fix my truck and they say " Explorer, we never released the explorer..." The rep told me I was best to put a Holden engine in it.. ( CHevy ) hahahaa.... and that they dont stock parts anymore... Ie 9 out of 10 parts would have to come from overseas and that 50% of Ford Service sites dont stock and prefer not to do the timing chain job.... They have replaced the Explorer here in Aus with the new FORD TERRITORY... Just a bit of info..
Thanks all..

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The later 4.0 SOHC engine is virtually the same internally. There are lots of examples of Explorer owners with trucks like yours, with 2003-2007 SOHC 4.0 swapped into them.

So it appears you can do the swap safely if you simply use everything external on your which is different from the later model donor engine. That means things like the intake manifold, fuel injectors/rail, sensors, front dress brackets.

You can use a 4.0 SOHC from a Mustang, any application apparently. The camshaft may be just slightly different in some as the newer models went along, but your PCm will. not know the difference.

Check around and see what a used 4.0 SOHC will cost there. Here it's not bad, say $400-$800 depending on the mileage and year. As the price gets higher, fixing the old one is better.

Remember though, any SOHC 4.0 you get, they all need the exact same valvetrain upgrades done to them. It's an easy job to do with the engine out, with the special tools. So if you buy a 50k mile engine, it's about time to replace those tensioners/cassettes on it too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ 98fex.. Did that include installation into the truck? What parts did he upgrade and are you happy with his service? unhappy wiht anything? anything else you could add? cheers mate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts