Explorer Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a owner of a 93 cobra w/ a 393w I am looking to get a v8 explorer. I do have some questions and the first is what is the best yr for them ? are there any that are quicker than ohters? did it ever come in a 2 door ? did they ever come not in AWD like a 2wd or 4wd? Basically i am looking to get one and i need to know what yr to start looking at. I would like to possibly find one w/ a 5.0 2 door ...please any help would be great ..thanx a new guy

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
They never had the 5.0 in a 2-door. It can be done fairly easily though. They can come in AWD or 2WD. I think '96 was the first year. I would think the newer ones would be faster in general because of less miles.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The 5.0 came in 96-01 models. I've heard the 4.6 in the new X's are faster than the 5.0 Xs.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome.

Like they said above, no 5.0 2 doors and AWD or 2wd only, they should have made a 2 door, that would have been cool. I think all of the 5.0 are about the same, I had a 2000 5.0 awd Mountaineer and it wasnt the fastest, the low end

pickup was slow but once it was moving it was fine. If you want a "fast" one you would most likely want the 2wd. If you dont want to spin the tires (rain or snow) get the AWD !

Good luck with youre search and let us know what you deciede

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's not true. AWD is slower. You want 2WD and the 4.6's are not faster than the 5.0's. The 0-60 times are virtually the same.

cobra, if you want to build up your X, go with a 5.0 because there are TONS of parts out there, as I'm sure you know.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That's not true. AWD is slower. You want 2WD and the 4.6's are not faster than the 5.0's. The 0-60 times are virtually the same.

cobra, if you want to build up your X, go with a 5.0 because there are TONS of parts out there, as I'm sure you know.

I just read my last post and corrected it, I did mean to say the 2wd would be faster.

(old people :roll: ) like Snoozer said "sometimers"

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not only are AWD slower they use more gas, take it from an owner of a 5.0 AWD. They still are fun, you have no tire spin, maybe a little if its wet but nothing to make you fishtail around. Snow on the other hand, I've only been in it once with my X and it held its own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you guys say 2wd ..... Do you mean you could get them w/ 2 or 4wd instead of awd all the time? did they make a part time 4wd so i could drve around in 2wd and switch to 4wd for the snow?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
2wd or

awd

no 2wd with a button or shifter to goto 4wd.

2wd is a little faster, but you already own a fast mustang, get the awd with a good torque converter, it should only take about 30 horses or so to make up for the transfer case. This way if it rains or snows (not sure where you live) you will have alot more security when driving.

Also since you are probably already accustomed to the 5.0 it will be relatively easy to mess with. Differences being the accessory setup and the explorers motor is more computer controlled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts