Explorer Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's up everyone? Any original ExplorerX members on here still?

Just thought I'd stop by and say hello - haven't been here in about 6 months! :hi:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Not much man. The site has been pretty dead since you sold it! haha

I sorta gave up on the site for a while but have began posting again. The new admins haven't been around much either it seems.

My 99's are still running just fine. I couldn't ask for much more than that.

·
stop your whining
1,725 Posts
Hey Rob. Howzit?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye. I can see it's not the same but it's out of my hands now.

I'm really glad to see some of the "originals" still sticking around though.

I've been good, pretty busy with work and the like. Getting married next summer.

Been doing some freelance writing for the NHL on Bleacher Report.
http://bleacherreport.com/users/291493-rob-waters

Still driving the Volvo S60, but by next summer I'll be looking for a replacement. Not looking to stick with another Volvo or any european car this time - just too expensive. I'm thinking a 4th gen Explorer, Chevy Tahoe, or Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I really like pickup trucks, but I don't think I'd want to drive one every single day.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Hi Rob!

(FU not enough characters limit!)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Howdy. I never stop by anymore, but ummm... I need your guys help. Here's a copy and paste from a fusion forum, which is what I've had since summer 09...

"I've got a 2010 Fusion SE. It has about 55k on it and is going to need some new tires relitively soon. I've got the 16" steelies and have always kicked around the idea of getting 18" rims. The sport rims were obviously on my list, but I've just never really found a great deal on those.

So, I started perusing craigslist and found a guy selling Verde Kaos 18" in the hyper silver with the stainless lip. He's asking $400 and they come with tires that are pretty new, he posts pictures were you can still see the paint in the tread. I like this still of wheel, and I think it would look sharp on my sterling grey fusion. The tire size is 235/40/18 which I know is slightly larger than stock, and they are a +38mm offset, so I'm pretty sure they would fit.

Here's the problem, he had them on an Infiniti i30, which has a center bore of 66.1, fusion is 67.1. I'm not sure if those wheels were bought specifically for that car and came with a 66.1 bore, or if they were bought online and he just threw them on and didn't care about the center bore. He said he isn't using a ring adaptor or anything.

If they fit on his car, and were 66.1, would they still fit on my fusion?

Or do you guys think I should just get new tires on my hideous steelies with chipped and scraped hubcaps? I would still keep the stock wheels for winter use since the tires could handle another winter at least, maybe 2.

Thanks in advance. "

Any advice from you guys? I trust all your opinions.

Also, you wouldn't believe who I came across last night... I was looking through the fusion forums, which are about as lively as it is here. "mossman8325" posted something, and I instantly thought, hmm. That seems familiar. So I came here, had to reset password to log in and sure enough. Carmen was his name.

That brought me back. I PM'ed him on there so we will see if he remembers me.

Anyway, thanks for any info you guys could have on these wheels!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's cool about "running into" mossman whoathere!

I have no knowledge of fusions, so I really can't comment. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Cole,

About all you can do is have him measure the wheels to make sure the bore is large enough to fit the fusion. If it is too small, you will have to get the wheels bored out at a machine shop.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I like the fact the it says "senior member" by my avatar lol

Fusions seem to be very popular now. My sister just bought a 2010 and loves it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey yall!!! I'm not really an original member, but compared to most of the traffic on here I'd say I'll call myself a seasoned veteran. I haven't been on in at least a couple months until last night. I used to think the AWD Fusion sports were kinda cool and something I could maybe see myself buying. And then I dated a girl with a Fusion and now everytime I see one in black it pisses me off. It's a shame the things we associate with certain memories. Now if I could just associate Glen Livet with some unpleasant memories, I would have a much heavier pocket book. But anyways I've been doing my best lately to kill my Mountaineer so I can justify buying something else and tearing the Mounty down to act out all these restomod ideas that have been floating in my head lately. But needless to say the old girl won't die. And in closing the engineer who designed the brackets for the radiator on the 2nd gens is on the list of people who's a** I want to kick. I've got scars on my knuckles and hands from replacing that stupid thing.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Since this thread is a random what's up thread, here is what's up with me. :wavey:

I am not sure what it is about the 2nd gen explorer and mountaineer that I like. Really, the list of dislikes may be easier to think up. haha They do look darn good though, both lifted and lowered. A 5.0 explorer or ranger is as close to a mustang as you can get without it actually being a car. I have never been much of the car type. The 5.0 powertrain is pretty darn tough. They are hard to kill.

I took my sport out for a spin today after it sitting in the garage all winter. I am trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I haven't driven it much in the past couple years. Probably less than 500 miles total. I haven't washed it in about 2 years, haha (not kidding).

If it isn't fun to drive, I might as well forget it. If it is too nice, I should forget it as well since that will make me not want to drive it. Making it too fast will just waste money as the only place it can be fully utilized (without getting arrested) is on a track (and it is still an explorer). Maintaining reliability to be daily driven is also important. That means AC must stay as well. I think my long term plan is going to be something like this (not necessarily in this order):

• Manual swap (will get that t-case out of there at the same time)
  • 18x10" wide rear wheels, 9" wide front.
  • Xp8 wing
  • Xp8 hood replica and possibly other parts? hmm
  • Rust repair (or replace w/ rust free shell-may be less work)
  • Body mods and repaint (no more flares!)
  • Twin turbo setup (max out hp on stock block~450hp-or something else involving a turbo)
  • Suspension/frame changes to optimize lowered ride quality/handling (no more t-bars and leaf springs-ride sucks right now)
Looking back at this list, it looks like it may be awfully expensive! We shall see...

I do think it would be fun to replicate the XP8 body kit in fiberglass. I might just have to buy an XP8 for that purpose, haha.

I now have a garage with a 14ft ceiling so I will probably get a 2 post lift in there sometime in the next couple years. I am probably going to be doing a Jeep XJ project sometime soonish which will force me to get a welder and develop good steel fab skills building trail armor. :goodjob:

Ok, that is enough random thoughts for now. I knew that mountain dew from the gas station was a bad idea. :lol:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eric it's great to hear about your Explorers. You've had those for what seem an eternity, even the 4 door. I always loved your Sport...I can't believe you haven't given it a wash in nearly 2 years though!! Shame on you!! lol

Your ambitions sound great, but good luck finding a XP8 hood as you obviously know. How hard is it to find a wing these days? I imagine still pretty difficult?

That's a lot of money to pour into old cars but if you love them that much then why not? I always respect your (and other members) work into their rides.

Good to see a steady core of original members on here! And hey utayogi, you're definitely a veteran in my eyes!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Cars are much more than a mode of transportation to me. I could either have a car payment for the rest of my life or just buy lower cost cars and the tools and parts to work on them. I find the latter much more exciting.

I already have a wing, and I do plan to replicate it as I have two explorers and of course both need wings. :icon_mrgreen: It shouldn't be too difficult really. I won't make any promises though because many have made them in the past and fallen through. You won't hear any promises until I have a batch made and ready to ship (at which time demand will be exactly zero with my luck). I am not attempting any of this to make money. I will do it to help fellow explorer owners out.

I know of a hood I may have access to, provided the offer is still out there. :sneaky:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cars are much more than a mode of transportation to me. I could either have a car payment for the rest of my life or just buy lower cost cars and the tools and parts to work on them. I find the latter much more exciting.

I already have a wing, and I do plan to replicate it as I have two explorers and of course both need wings. :icon_mrgreen: It shouldn't be too difficult really. I won't make any promises though because many have made them in the past and fallen through. You won't hear any promises until I have a batch made and ready to ship (at which time demand will be exactly zero with my luck). I am not attempting any of this to make money. I will do it to help fellow explorer owners out.

I know of a hood I may have access to, provided the offer is still out there. :sneaky:
Awesome. Sounds great and keep us posted!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I feel you on that. I was going to buy a 7.3 F-250 4wd but decided It wasn't really necessary since the only thing I haul is ass. Then I almost bought an 80s Lincoln Towncar with the intention of putting a 331 stroker in there and making the world's fastest Towncar. Well that car got sold before I made it across the state to buy it and I've been unable to find one worthy of more than the junkyard within a days drive since. Then I was going to buy a Mustang II and turn the 2nd worst Ford of all time into a respectable track day car but I spend that money on guns so that killed that idea for the time being.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to have contacts of the participants of this forum. But as I changed my PC all the information was lost. Is anybody still here? Let’s take 415 area code find there Explorer fan community. I could not find anything like this forum. Who knows if admins turn up here occasionally or is the site completely abandoned? If somebody happens to read this post, please get in touch with me through a private message

1 - 19 of 19 Posts