Explorer Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the airbox? Well, after having my X for 3 hours. I found a K&N air filter in my local Advanced Auto Part that I had to snatch up. The following morning, I proceeded to install it. As in my 2003 Sport Trac, Ford has put in another silencer tube in the airbox, I planned on removing it completely, but I decided to cut of the 2.5" extended tube that went into the stock airbox to improve the airblow into the stock airbox.

Its not a true open air system, but I am pretty damn happy with the low end range and the free-er flowing acceleration with my K&N and shortened silencer tube. I might remove the tube and cut the front side open on the bottom half of the airbox to allow more air into the stock setup. I wanted to know if anyone has done this on the V6 X. I've seen it done on a V6 ranger.

I am contemplating.....

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
A lot of people drill the airbox. Use the biggest bit you have and make a few holes. I wouldn't cut out the entire bottom, though. I did that with my Ranger (3.0 V6).

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I just replaced the entire airbox by ripping that out and getting the MAC Intake tube with the KKM conical air intake.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, yeah. I assumed he didn't want to buy one, though, that would really be the best route to take.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My buddy did that with his F150 cut the stock air box with an air saw to where it still had the bottom pieces that mounted into the bracket for the stability and left enough to keep it connected but I would say it was 80 open he hasn't had any ill results from it. his wife shot down his plans for his truck when she bought a supercharged mini those things are pretty tight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts