Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New guy to the forum here, so pardon me if I sound stupid. lol. So I start to rotate my tires today..just bought her in December, and I came up with a question. I searched the site with tire rotation and wheel torque but to no avail. I also searched on Google and found nothing. It also wasn't in my owners manual, so ....

what is the recommended torque amount per lug? I have a 2001 XLS 4x4 with 15 inch wheels. I know most vehichles are around 100 ft. lb. However my old Tacoma was only 85 ft. lb. And good ole me broke a stud the first time I rotated the tires by torquing it to 100! Don't want to do that again.

So any and all info will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'll check my service manual cd when I go home for lunch at 4PM if nobody answers before then. It'll obviously be for a '99 but I would imagine it would be the same.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
OK, he beat me to it.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
1 forearm lbs. of torque. ?

J/K
That's what I do. It's called "Pull and pray" and I'm not talking about sex.

While we're talking about wheel torque, I'm looking to buy an air compressor and of course I'll use an air wrench to put on and remove my wheel lug nuts but, do those things have a torque reading on them? In other words, if I use the air wrench, how do I know when I reach the proper torque setting?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I think the air wrenches have a set torque to them, some may be adjustable, and from there you get the reading. I was flipping through a tool catalog and they all had different torque (what seemed non adjustable)specs.

edit: Looking again, for example its' 45 ft/lb at 90 psi. So I guess you can play with the psi to change the torque essentially.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I only tighten them "hand tight", meaning until I can't tighten them anymore. It's important not to tighten them too much as that can actually do more damage then good. If the lugnuts become too tight you can actually put too much stress on the lugnuts and they are more likely to snap/brake.

Be careful whenever you opt to use airtools, you don't want to crossthread the lugnuts or even worse the hub itself. I see it happen all the time at local auto shops...

Also whenever you rotate tires, only rotate the wheels that are on the same side. So take the drivers side rear wheel and put that in the front on the drivers side. Never cross passenger to driver side tires. The threads inside of the tires are going in a certain direction and if you switch sides, now the threads want to go the opposite direction. You can actually get bubbles in your tires from this because the threads inside bundle up.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
That's only true for unidirectional tires though, right?

I was told for radial tires....even our stock tires as well. Ask you Ford dealer next time - they shouldn't swap them from side to side. Only front and back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[..]

I was told for radial tires....even our stock tires as well. Ask you Ford dealer next time - they shouldn't swap them from side to side. Only front and back.

I've always only swapped front to back, but I've heard that it doesn't matter if you cross them side to side. My manual even has them swapping not only front to back, but side to side as well. Although I would never do it. Especially with my crappy stock Goodyears. lol. I hate Goodyear tires. But if anyone does use an air gun, be careful. Too much is bad for them. I have a manual Craftsman torque wrench. Works great! But a word of advice, don't use standard sockets. Use ones made for an air gun. I've broken regular sockets before. Gotta love Craftsman's warranty though. :)

But thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I have a manual Craftsman torque wrench. Works great! ?
I use the same, I do all of the wheel stuff myself. I do not trust auto shops with wheels. I have had bad experiences with them before.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Not Radial though, or at least as I have been told. I hate to be spreading false information, so tell me if I'm wrong. But I'm just going by what I was told, and it seems to at least make sense.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My manual says rear tires should go straight forward, and front tires cross to opposite side rear. I believe it is to compensate for the extra wear on the front tires from turning.

There used to be a lot of wives' tails going around about what you could or couldn't do with radial tires, but Rob, you're not old enough for any of that. And since there aren't any passenger vehicles any more that DON'T have radial tires, they should have it pretty well figured out by now.

Of course, I also have a BMW where the manual recommends that you NEVER rotate tires. Some of it has to do with the rear suspension configuration of E30 3 Series cars. Some of it has to do with the incredible amounts of money BMW dealers can make selling new tires.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob it doesn't matter if they're radial or not. A front and side to side rotation can be done as long as your are sure you are not running directional tires. My manual also states the same thing that Jeff's has.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I think the air wrenches have a set torque to them, some may be adjustable, and from there you get the reading. ?I was flipping through a tool catalog and they all had different torque (what seemed non adjustable)specs.

edit: ?Looking again, for example its' ?45 ft/lb at 90 psi. ?So I guess you can play with the psi to change the torque essentially.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I really want to get an air compressor because it's just so much easier to use than hand tools for some things.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I have a Craftsman torque wrench. Just got it at a Sears store closing sale but it's not working right. The little ball that holds on the sockets won't budge. They built a new mall and they're moving there so I have to wait until they open this Friday to return it and get another.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
When radials first came out they said to never cross them over from one side to the other, they found that it didnt make any differnece and they can be moved from front to back and side to side so Rob you did hear that at one time you shouldnt cross them over but now you can

1 - 20 of 21 Posts