Explorer Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I wanna put my wheels on this week, but can't find the torque spec for the wheel lugs. Anyone have any idea what it is? I thought i remembered it being 100ft*lbs, but that seems awefully high. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
When a tire company (particularly those sears bastards) tighten your lugs, it can exceeds 110 lbs. This is an extreme PITA. One time i got a flat, and i was stranded because i couldn't remove 3 of the 5 lugs. I weight lifted daily for strength for my football team...jumping on the iron wouldn't make them budge. I had to call my girlfriend to bring me a sledge hammer.

Now every time i have my tires rotated or replaced, I tell them keep it at 90.

90lbs is fine, your tire won't roll out from under you.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
yeah 90 it is and sears retards dont know how to use a torque stick, they just crank it down, they get paid by quanity not quality

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The hub nuts are about 250 lbs.ft. tight, I've had lugnuts tightened past that before. I broke the lugnut key recently where my Lincoln had had tires mounted at a shop. It took a 3/4" socket pounded on the nut to remove it. I now have two on the back that I need to get off as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's an old thread, and I'm a very newbie here, but for comparison the wheel torque specs on my 07 Expedition is 150 ft-lbs. So 100 on my Explorer doesn't seem like that much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts