Explorer Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
No, you will have rubbing with the front tires (way too wide), and that is no good you do not want tires that will cause that.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You get rubbing with 31's? I didnt know that, isnt stock 29"?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
The wheel width is the issue as I pointed out above, notice it is 10.5"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ouch, i didnt notice they were 10.5in wide. I was thinking they were 7 or 8in wide. Sorry, but thanks for the fast responses

95xSport, a link you might find useful, http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

its for a miata but it'll work for all tires, converts the mm size to inches and also tells you the difference between new tires and stock tires.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thats cool

My summer tires are 255/70 and my winters are 235/75's. I really didnt know what the numbers meanth except that they are ratios of width and height.

BTW, welcome to Explorerx!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ok, well then in that case you'll notice that your winter tires are narrower than your summer tires. Maybe that will help you picture the tires better

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Yea, my summer tires are bigger but i just didnt know how they come up with those numbers. I understand everthing now

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Just bought my 2001 XLS 4x4 a week ago tomorrow (friday). I traded in my 99 3.0 Ranger and boy am i loving the 4.0 now. Not only does it have more power, but today i checked the milage going to school and back and i got 20.5mpg! thats the best i've gotten out of anything i've owned, which is the ranger, and a 95 Nissan Altima. Also the Ranger had no options except A/C where as the explorer has everything except a sunroof and leather, so i'm real happy. Now im just looking to do alittle 4x4 :)

Matthew

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
20 mpg? dang, is that freeway driving?

yea, my friend's ranger has absolutely no options except a CD player. He doesnt even have power locks :roll:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats going pretty much between 50-60 all the way, with a few stop lights thrown in. I'll take it! I didnt have power locks either :-( it was hard to get used to at first because my altima had all power and keyless entry, like what i have now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts