Explorer Talk banner

Which head unit? PURCHASED 12/12

4K views 46 replies 9 participants last post by  WilsonTheDog 
#1 ·
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-lLskQ...&ITM130DEHP350=

So, as you all know, I have to buy a new head unit. :censor: The Pioneer is the one that was stolen last night. The other 2 are the ones I'm also considering. I'm leaning towards the Clarion but my wife likes the "pretty colors" of the Pioneer ( :roll: ). The JVC plays MP3's though, but has no changer controls or satellite controls but I can get it for $129.95 on Sounddomain.com. I can also get the Pioneer for $20.00 cheaper on SD as well. But when I compare them side by side, I think the Clarion comes out on top.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind that I'm NOT going over $150.00 on this.

#2 ·
Screw what they look like, and any of that crap thats an important lesson people need to learn, its one that took me about 3 times to finally learn.

GO with the Pioneer hands down. It has much better built-in equalizer (IMPORTANT!) and also more volts (ALSO IMPORTANT!). You want to get as much power running in and through the headunit as possible and into the speakers. It also has the XM radio capability, not sure if this is important to you or not.

#3 ·
I've had four different Pioneers in various cars over the last three years (the 9500 that got snatched from my BMW was the nicest), and I've liked them all. I just put a 350, which is the "Premier" equivalent of the 3500 in my wife's Jeep. Its pretty nice. And, yes, my wife likes the "pretty colors".

Like Rob said, the Pioneer's have good power, and seem to have more sound control than other brands. In the price range you're looking at, I'd go Pioneer.

I just put the mongo Clarion VRX935V in my Explorer. I love the touch screen controls, and of course the video, but I'm kind of disappointed in the equalizer and tone controls. $1,600 and very few presets for equalization, no DSP or anything like that, no time delay control. I did find out that I like Sirius better than XM.

My dealer was really pushing Eclipse head units. They have a reputation for good sound quality, but man, their less expensive head units look like something you'd get at Walmart.

#4 ·
I vote Pioneer. I'm very partial to them. I love the way their HUs are designed. Also, the RMS output of the Pioneer is higher but you may use an external amp so that doesn't matter. I also love Pioneer's equalizer. Also, the FM sensitivity is better on the Pioneer. I love the Pioneer Organic EL displays but I know you don't want to go over $150. Definately go with the Pioneer though!!

#6 ·
Hmm.....the thing I'm worried about is, I get paid next Friday. I'll order it Friday morning but I need it to be here by the following Thursday at the latest as I'm leaving for NJ on Saturday and I've heard that Sounddomain can be slow at times.

Well, I did like the Pioneer so I'll probably get that again. It's weird because, and I know this is kind of dumb, but it just kills to buy the same thing over again that I just bought 3 months ago. At least if I buy a different brand/model then it won't seem that way.

I know, that's stupid.

#8 ·
Yeah, like I was thinking after I got the Pioneer the first time that maybe I should've gotten one that plays MP3's and maybe I should get that now.
:

#9 ·
Definitely get one that plays MP3's. Thats the only thing I wish mine does. But I still can't complain really, because I wouldn't trade my headunit for anything other than a very nice flip out motorized LCD screen.

#10 ·
I was thinking either the MP3 capability or changer controls, which the Pioneer has, so that I could add a changer later. But, I only live 4 miles from work and it will be the same after I move to the new house so I don't really need tons of music for a long ride or anything.

Besides, I obviously need to get myself an alarm as you pointed out earlier, Rob. I could put the changer money towards that.

Not to mention that I forgot to play the damn Powerball today.

#12 ·
Blaupunkt, San Fransisco,

If you're not happy with anything less than perfection, Blaupunkt created the San Francisco CD72 CD receiver for you! You'll enjoy clean, clear sound, thanks to a remarkable built-in amplifier that produces a robust 33 watts RMS (65 watts peak) by 4 channels. And Blaupunkt includes several features that allow you to fine tune your sound to an unprecedented degree.

Switch on the Digital Sound Adjustment. Four automatic equalizers (with a supplied microphone that "reads" your vehicle's interior) adjust the sound contour to fit your vehicle's acoustics. You can then tailor the sound to your individual preferences with a user-adjustable, 4-band parametric equalizer. Or, if you prefer quick changes, use the 6 sound presets ("Rock," "Disco," "Jazz," "Classical," "Linear," and "Vocal") to complement your choice of music.

When you reach highway speeds (or open a window), the interior noise level rises, changing the way your receiver sounds. Blaupunkt's Dynamic Noise Covering system uses the included microphone to determine which frequencies have been affected, and compensates by adjusting only the frequencies that need boosting or cutting.

The San Francisco CD72 brings state-of-the-art radio reception your way with TwinCeiver — two digital tuners which continually select the strongest signal from the twin antenna system. This versatile receiver will play CD-Rs and CD-RWs, along with your prerecorded discs. Add the CDC-A08 8-disc CD changer for long-playing CD entertainment.

Two sets of 5-volt preamp outputs, along with center channel and subwoofer outputs, simplify multimedia system expansion. Two optional auxiliary inputs (adapters required) allow you to connect an outboard audio source (DVD player, VCR, or MP3 portable) to your sound system. The San Francisco CD72 is also equipped with cell phone and navigation system speech output capability.

Blaupunkt's KeyCard is a small digital memory card (1-1/4" x 15/16") that slips into a slot on the back of the receiver's fold-down face. When it's removed, the receiver won't operate. The motorized steel front panel detaches for extra security, and its red, white, and blue display offers excellent visibility. The controls are simple and easy-to-use, thanks to multipurpose "soft key" buttons that change function according to the mode that you've selected. The RC10H wireless remote is supplied for convenient operation.

Important Note: The powerful output of Blaupunkt's built-in amp requires a direct, fused connection to your vehicle's battery — see "Wiring Considerations" under the Detailed Info tab for more information.

Key Features:

motorized, detachable fold-down face

KeyCard security

red, white, and blue display

switchable red/blue button illumination

TwinCeiver AM/FM tuner system with window-mount antenna

24 FM/18 AM presets

seek tuning

two sets of 5-volt preamp outputs

mono subwoofer output

center channel output (adjustable)

optional auxiliary inputs

X-Bass

Digital Sound Adjustment with automatic EQs and microphone (each EQ can be set for a different situation — driver only, driver with front seat passenger, full vehicle)

Digital Noise Covering — automatically adjusts EQ for road noise

CD changer controls — add a Blaupunkt changer to your receiver order, and save $25 with Crutchfield's package discount

wireless remote

33 watts RMS/65 peak x 4 channels

CD frequency response 15-20,000 Hz

CD signal-to-noise ratio 85 dB

FM sensitivity 11 dBf

1-year warranty

#15 ·
Nice stocking stuffer!!

Critchfeild

Blaupunkt San Francisco CD72 549.99

or As low as $14.00/mo the above version

Blaupunkt San Francisco 299.99 on sale the below version

Blaupunkt calls this their "ultimate CD receiver," and it's easy to see why. The San Francisco makes it incredibly simple to get great sound in any vehicle. How? With an amazing new feature called Digital Sound Adjustment.

Digital Sound Adjustment uses three automatic, self-adjusting 7-band EQs (with a supplied microphone that "reads" your vehicle's interior) to fine-tune the sound contour. And it's manually adjustable as well — you can tweak the settings the DSA provides with the 7-band EQ!

If you open your car's window, the constant noise level rises, and can change the way your receiver sounds. But Blaupunkt's Dynamic Noise Covering can fix that. DNC uses the included microphone to determine which frequencies have been affected, and compensates by adjusting only those frequencies that need boosting or cutting.

Protect your San Francisco the state-of-the-art way, with Blaupunkt's KeyCard[TM]. The KeyCard is a credit-card-sized "smartcard" that slips into a slot on the back of the receiver's fold-down face. When it's removed, the receiver won't operate. And that means thieves won't want your deck without it.

For maximum convenience, add a CDC-A08 8-disc CD changer — you'll save $25 with Crutchfield's package discount. The RC10H credit card-style wireless remote is supplied; a "Thummer" steering wheel remote is optional.

Key Features:

fold-down face

KeyCard security

DigiCeiver tuner

24 FM/12 AM presets

seek tuning

SHARX reception enhancement

two sets of 5-volt preamp outputs

mono subwoofer output

Digital Sound Adjustment with three 7-band parametric EQs and microphone (each EQ can be set for a different situation — driver only, driver with front seat passenger, full vehicle, for instance)

Digital Noise Covering — automatically adjusts EQ for road noise

CD changer controls

RC10H wireless remote (2-1/8"W x 4-9/16"H x 3/4"D)

"Thummer" steering wheel remote optional

25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels

CD frequency response 20-20,000 Hz

CD signal-to-noise ratio 108 dB

FM sensitivity 7.8 dBf

1-year warranty

#16 ·
Exactly, skip the changer. You'd get much better use and benefit more from a MP3 compatible headunit.

I'm with Rob on that. As much as I like the Pioneer HU you're looking at, go for the one with the MP3 CD player. I'm regretting I didn't get the Pioneer MP3 unit when I bought my HU and now I'm going to hopefully, this coming summer, replace my P6400 with a P7500MP or whatever the new '04 model will be. But definately go for the MP3. You don't need a changer with that.

#17 ·
Re: Which head unit?

That's what I'm going to do. I've expanded my choices a bit to the

Panasonic CQ-DF583U because I can get it on Ebay for $115.00. Of course, if I go the Ebay route, I have to worry about getting it on time so we'll see.

Then again, I can get the same one I had for $105.00 on Ebay.

#18 ·
You know, having to be cheap like this really friggin sucks. I'm not used to watching my pennies. I guess that's what buying a damn house does to you.

Then again, I'll have a brand new house so that's only a good thing.

#19 ·
A new house is always a good thing. If it happened to you in the summer, I would sell you my P6400 for $75-$100. You can always upgrade later when you have more money.

#20 ·

OK, it's between these two:

Panasonic CQ-DF583U

JVC KD-S890

I can get both cheaper on Ebay (the Panasonic for $115) but I'm worried about the time issue. I should just break down and use a credit card but I have to keep them low. The Panasonic has cd changer controls and the JVC doesn't. The Panasonic has flip face and the JVC doesn't but that's not a major thing to me. The JVC has built in equalizer and the Panasonic doesn't.

Well, at least I have a week to decide.

#21 ·

Wilson,

Try here at www.Bizrate.com

Pick a place that has good reviews and a good price.

I can't guarantee what you want is there, but i pretty much have found everything i've ever looked for that's electronics.

You can take the phone numbers down and call in your order, and tell them when you need it by, and get some tracking numbers.

I've made at least 10 purchases from different sites that bizrate links you too, i've yet to be disappointed.

#22 ·
OK, thanks. I usually do look on Bizrate for business info but I've never linked to one. I'll check it out.

#24 ·
Hehe........Yeah, I was just checking out Digital Foto. They have a good price and good store reviews. Second day air is only $17.84 so I'll probably do that.

Thanks again!

#26 ·
Hmm....OK. I better check that.

Yeah, it must be NC and up to NJ in two days because from SC it's more like a week. Everything I send home takes something like 4-5 days from here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.