Explorer Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here ......... hope I can learn a lot from this group.

I bought a 2001 XLT, V-6, back in May 2003 as a Ford Cerified vehicle.

Currently has 41K miles.

Lately I've noticed a whining/whistling sound that seems to only occur during the 1st few miles of driving, then it goes away. It seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle, but I could be wrong.

I have turned off the radio to rule that out. A co-worker suggested it could be the defroster, so I've been going without it for a couple days and I don't hear the sound (of course with these types of intermittent things, I can't say for sure this is the answer).

Maybe a belt ? Other ideas ? Anyone else experienced this ? Any suggestions of other places to search for Explorer questions/issues ?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
566 Posts
Welcome!! To me it sounds like it could be a belt, since you say it goes away after a little bit of driving.

There are lots of great guys on this site with tons of knowledge. I know they can help you more.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The belt tensioner is the culprit quite often with this type of noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should also mention that when the noise occurs, by accelerating/decelerating I affect the noise. For example, if the noise begins, if I slow down it goes away. Or if I speed up it goes away.

Does this support a belt theory ? (I think it does) Or does it suggest something else ?

Can the belt tensioner be adjusted easily ? (accessible, ordinary tools, etc)

Thanks.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts