Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was hoping someone may have advice to offer. In December 2018 I purchased a used 2015 Explorer with about 43k miles. When I turn my steering wheel at low speeds I hear a whining noise from underneath the hood and/or vehicle. After speaking to a mechanic not very experienced with the electric power steering system, I am suspicious that I could possibly have a bad steering rack but I have yet to have a Ford dealership check out the problem. Additionally, when I turn the wheel to the left as I back into my driveway, I feel something “catch” accompanied by a slight clunking feeling. Has anyone experienced this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You should check the power steering fluid level. To pinpoint the source of the noise, take a long screwdriver, maybe 12 inches or longer, put the handle in an ear and the point on the power steering unit and have someone slowly turn the wheel for you. If you hear a squeal, you have successfully completed a old time, tried and true trouble shooting technique.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts