Explorer Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer. It is equipped with 4X4. The past couple of snowfalls, I have driven the Explorer in 4X4. In turns I get a "whinning" noise from underneath the Explorer. The turns are what you would take to turn down a lane in a parking lot.

I took the Explorer to the dealer, and had them ride with me. The service manager said that the noise was normal. He said that the noise was coming from the transfer case.

I wanted to see if others with the 2002 Explorer had the same noise, of if I do have a problem.

Thanks, Charlie.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
First off let me welcome you to the site
This is a great site and hopefully you'll be able to get the information you need. With that being said.....I too have a 2002 Explorer w/4x4 and have never had a whinning noise but don't drive in the snow either.....just rain. Is there another dealer you can take it too that you trust
You didn't say where you lived but perhaps having another opinion might work.

You know you might want to register over at FTW.com as well, maybe someone there can help too. Here's the link http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Welcome! I was going to say maybe it was your power steering, but since the Ford mechanic/rep told you it was coming from the transfer case, that is quite strange. I wouldn't stick with a "its normal" excuse from any dealer either. I guarentee if your warranty was up they'd tell it could be taken care of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts