Explorer Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my wife's Ford Explorer, her right side tires look so weird after about 1 year. Can't see the letters, rather just a white circle about 1 inch thick. Anyone know what that's from or why that appearance?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Pictures might help. I'd guess they're either blemished (cosmetically defective) tires or that she swiped something with the right side like a roadside barrier/rail/curb etc.

Does it scrub off with a stiff plastic brush?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'd guess they scraped a curb a fair distance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, think you nailed it...wife is only 5'1" and she always parks by feel in front of our house. The leads in with the front right tire and then I hear the poor tire squealing. That has to be it?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The question now is whether they're safe to drive on. Harder impacts, you can get bubbles in the sidewall and they're shot but that... hard to tell from a pic, I'd keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. I'll get them checked out. And would just love the next time I get her tires, she would be more careful. She is a total curb hitter as you can she from her tire. The evidence is there!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would get them checked by a shop that does not sell tires rather than one that does... because... places that sell tires like to sell tires, lol... unless you have road hazard coverage, then you can put the two new tires on the same axle rather than same side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You might want to get some "curb feelers" installed. They are about 8 inches long and attach to the inside of the rear of the wheel well. They are flexible spring material that will vibrate when they tough something (like the curb) She should be about to feel it instead of the tires hitting the curb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts