Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windshield washer not working on my 2009 Explorer Sport
can anyone give me some how to repair help ?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
First, your post is in the wrong forum, this is 2nd gen 1995-2001 forum.

However, I'd expect not much has changed.

1) Make sure there is fluid in it (yeah I know, doesn't need written but still...)

2) Get 2nd person to help, one activates washer with switch, other is at washer fluid reservoir listening to hear if pump activates

3a) No pump activation? Unplug pump electrical connector and use a multimeter on wiring harness connector to measure for voltage when it should activate. If no voltage, check fuse for appropriate circuit and all wiring up to pump. Bad activation switch is another possibility. If there is voltage, wire separate test leads with 12V going to pump. If it is direct from high current source like vehicle battery, put a fuse inline to it just in case, for safety. See if direct 12V will make it run, but do not run for more than a few seconds at a time.

3b) Pump activation (is heard spinning) but not coming out at windshield nozzles? Confirm hose is plugged into pump. Trace hose to see if it is leaking anywhere, and confirm hose is plugged into nozzles.

Check nozzles to see if plugged with ice or gunk (common in winter if alcohol evaporates out of fluid in line then it freezes, or in high mold/fungus areas that growth can start in the tank, get sucked up by pump and get stuck and clog narrow passages like the nozzles. Sometimes a VERY small needle can unclog passages but proceed at own risk, too large a needle can damage the spray pattern.

If there was a clog, examine washer reservoir for gunk buildup, if present, remove tank and clean thoroughly. Bleach will kill any remaining fungus but do NOT expose pump itself or rubber hose to bleach or else either may be damaged. You might also want to temporarily fill reservoir with very hot detergent/water (no need to waste real washer fluid for this) solution, activate pump in roughly 5 second intervals to move hot detergent through the hose and out the nozzles, waiting ~20 seconds for pump to cool down some then keep repeating to try to purge further contamination from the hose and nozzles - only IF this was the problem, no need if the failure point wasn't clogging.

That's all I have at the moment. It's a fairly simple system if broken down to the basics which is a switch gives it power through wiring and a fuse on that circuit, which should make pump move fluid through hose to windshield nozzle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts