Explorer Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just mounted up the wing on my car still has to get painted just wanted to put it on b4 it did so i dont mess up the new paint when i drill the holes...Its gettin painted next week so ill have finished pic.. but i think it looks good.These things came with the install pakage i got but i have no clue what to do with them.. if anyone knows were they go please tell me

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the bolt on was giving us a lil trouble bc of the curve of the rear hatch so we had to kinda straightin out the holes i wouldgo with the bolt on over the 3m tape i dont htink the tape will hold that good bc of the way the wing is set on the hatch.. yea i cant wait to get it painted its gona look awsome

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah I would NOT keep it down only by tape. Definitely bolt it down. Not to mention one trip through an auto car wash and that thing will be ripped right off, no joke.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Are those wings different than others then? I know mine has been on for 178k miles and its only taped on. Never fallen off for me.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
This is a completely different wing. Not even close to the Windjammer by Lund.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That is going to look great when it's painted! As far as the tape goes, my father in law has a new Lexus LX 470 with the factory wing and it is held on by the 3M auto tape. He goes through the car wash about every other day(no lie...he's on a 1st name basis with everyone who works there) with no issues so far. He was pretty upset when I 1st pointed that out to him so he went back to the dealer to *censored* about it when they told him that's how they all are and they have not had any reports of one falling off.

Chad

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Yeah I would NOT keep it down only by tape. Definitely bolt it down. Not to mention one trip through an auto car wash and that thing will be ripped right off, no joke.

Isn't your scoop on with double sided tape? I figure your hood scoop catches are more force (60mph wind) than the wing will.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Don't most "factory" wings, and the Winjammer, attach along the whole length of the wing? This would mean there would be about 3 or feet of contact area taped to the body. The Wings West wing stands away from the body on the two uprights at the ends, so there would be maybe 6 or 8" of tape.

Isn't that the difference?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
[..]

Isn't your scoop on with double sided tape? ?I figure your hood scoop catches are more force (60mph wind) than the wing will.

Yes, however not much longer. I am having it bolted down when it goes into the body shop and also having all the edges fiberglassed to have a smooth, molded-in look. The hood scoop will be completely molded into the factory hood.

My point though is that I do not trust the tape, no matter how strong someone says it is. If you go through a lot of the weather elements, eventually it is going to make it weaker. And then all of the sudden....bam....goodbye wing, or hood scoop.

·
Registered
666 Posts
[..]

Yes, however not much longer. I am having it bolted down when it goes into the body shop and also having all the edges fiberglassed to have a smooth, molded-in look. The hood scoop will be completely molded into the factory hood.

My point though is that I do not trust the tape, no matter how strong someone says it is. If you go through a lot of the weather elements, eventually it is going to make it weaker. And then all of the sudden....bam....goodbye wing, or hood scoop.

Yup Im with you on this one ...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
does anyone know what those black plastic things are that i got with the wing?
I have no clue, I was wondering that myself. Sorry for not being much of a help on this one!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That looks great, I cant wait to see it painted, you are really doing alot of mods on youre X and it's going to be great.

I cant see what the plastic things would be fore. as long as it's bolted down and fits I wouldnt worry about it.

I wonder if those plastic things are some kind of prop that the studs would go into for the painting process, do the studs on the end of the spoiler fit in the round things sticking up in the center of the plastic things? something for the spoiler to set on when they do the painting
: Just a guess
:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts