Explorer Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, just purchased an 03 Mountaineer and I have a question about the sound system in it.

I know that there is an option to have the dealer add a Sirius tuner to it, but is there an XM tuner that will interface with my factory head unit? It is the premium audio deck with the built in 6 disc changer.

Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
If you want XM I suggest getting the tuner piece that goes with the SkyFi system or any radio anywhere. That way you get better use out of it. I don't know if there is an XM tuner that will interface with the factory HU.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome to Explorer X!!

I can't guarantee all the facts, but on my '02 Explorer with the Audiophile 6 disc, the only way to add satellite was with an RF modulator add on. I had this setup for about a year. The Pioneer XM tuner was under the front passenger seat, and there was a small display unit that I had mounted below the a/c controls on the console. There are now a number of options to do this kind of setup - Kenwood, Sony, Delphi all have add-on units for XM and/or Sirius. In my opinion, the RF modulator setup didn't produce the greatest sound quality. When I went to a totally aftermarket system a few months ago, I ended up with a Clarion system, which had Sirius capability built in. So I switched to Sirius, and found out I like it better than XM.

Just my opinions. Whatever way you go, satellite radio is awesome. Once you've got it, you'll never know how you lived without it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! I have a complete Alpine XM set up (Head Unit/XM tuner) that I had in my Grand Cherokee, but I wanted move that into my other car vs. the mountaineer. I guess I will just go buy the SkyFi system.

Chad

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know what type of interface the connection for the CD/AUX input on the 6 disc in dashe changer is? If it's and RCA input I found an XM unit that should work.

Thanks

Chad

G

·
I'm sure that you can find an FM modulator that will plug in in-line with the radio antenna. I know the Delphi system has one, and most others do too. But most of the time have to be purchased seperatly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I know I can go the FM modulation route, I have done that in the past with a CD canger and my 1st XM set up was a Pioneer modulated set up and the sound quality between that and my current Alpine unit was pretty noticeable.

I will pull my radio this weekend and check the inputs for the CD/aux on it.

Chad

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
6 disc in dash unit doesn't have any aux outputs. There are three different plugs in the back of the unit. As I understand the way the Audiophile harness is set up, one is the main power and door speakers, one is for the redundant control functions (steering wheel controls), and the third is the harness to the factory sub and amp. Antenna is the only other connection on the unit.

I went through this same issue when I did my system last fall. I was originally going to keep the stock head unit, upgrade all the speakers, add a decent amp and sub and call it good. But two things about it bugged me so much I decided to do the whole system - 1.)I would still have the add-on XM control panel, which I didn't really care for, and 2.) since I was listening to XM 95% of the time, the poor sound quality of the FM modulator was really pissing me off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts