Explorer Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am finally at the point were I HAVE to replace the front brake system.

After 60K, the front driver's side rotor is warped enough that whenever I turn to the right from TDC, it squeals and grinds. Push the brakes while I am turning to the right and the problem goes away. Unless, someones else has experienced this and there is something else wrong with the truck, it looks as though I am replacing things.

As I stated before, it originally came with the 13" brake option and Saleen took back all the parts are the mounting bracket "blow up". I have purchased one "steel" mounting bracket, but to be honest, I do not even know if it is correct for this system. I would hate to purchase the 13" Saleen brake package for over $1250, only to have the wrong braket and not be able to mount it. That and I do not know if the XP8s used the standard Saleen Mustang's 13" front brack package as a whole, well with the rotor mods Hennie talked about.

Has anyone tried another package? Is anyone goping to mock up the steel mounting brackets? Can someone send me detailed pictures of the set-up with the front wheel off? Are the mounting brackets from both sides the same? Is the brake package the 13" front brake package off of the Saleen Mustangs?

The reality is with my new home and the damn landscaping I have to do this year, I have limited funds to play around with an "experimental system". If I can not get some answers to these things, I will probably just upgrade the whole system to the Explorer Express slotted rotors front and back along with new performance pads. I have to do something as it is kind of embarrassing driving the grind machine down the road.

Anyone had experience with the Express slotted rotors? Do their performance pads leave a lot of brake dust? Has anyone tried the Porter RS4 "greenie" pads. I hear they are real good.

Anyway, if I can return the front Saleen brake system without a ton of rework and guessing, that would be my first goal. If I can, I would like to eventually put the 12" rear SR Saleen brake system on the rear down the road. If not maybe a combination of the Saleen front and Express rear with a black painted caliper or just Express on all four with a black painted caliper.

Oh, I don't know what to do but I have to do something.

Anyone have any info., experience or opinions? Help!!!!!!!

Rick

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Depends on your budget, i think brembo will build anything you like if you have the money.

The brakes issue has been around for quite a while, and from what i know there's only one guy to have it done. That troll guy, i think his website is www.speedfreak.com or something like that.

I believe hennie does know all the parts necessary to re upgrade to the alcons again. Shoot him a pm, supposidly he's very busy, and only checks the board once in a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rick,

can you wait another 10 days?

I am taking my system apart to have the Aluminum brackets copied in steel, just before right after Easter, I am too busy now.

If anyone else is interested let me know and I will ask for a few more copies( I don't have a clue about the price though)

I will also post some detailed pictures for you all.

Hennie

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hennie;

I can wait a couple of weeks, as I will not be using the truck much in that time frame.

If you are having the mounting brackets copied. I am definitely interested in obtaining a set from you. Please count me in on a set of the steel brackets. I am sure they will be somewhat reasonably priced with a volume purchase.

Also, when you have the system apart, can you take some pictures and copy down the actual part numbers of the whole brake system? I would very much like to return my system to the 13" factory option. Saleen still sells the 13" Saleen Mustang brake system, however they are moving towards a Brembo 14" system now. With all the changes, I want to make sure that their current 13" brake system will still work. They change things so much over their that the only way to be absolutely sure of what I am purchasing is to verifiy the part numbers of the rotors, calipers, and brake lines.

Regardless, Hennie, you are a life saver because based upon past experience with Saleen, one they change to the 2005s and a whole new model, they may drop the older parts in turn. I want to get this system in place before they make a move like that. I can always buy new rotors from Alcon but the calipers, etc. could be a real issue.

Let me know what you find out. You have my home e-mail.

Take care and have a great Easter.

Rick

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rick,

I will have everything apart so no trouble taking pictures from each item( in the end it's only 4 items) and I will post all the part numbers as well, I will do that on the forum so everyone can use it for future projects, and I will mail you on you private email address as well.

as for the rackets price???, but I don't have to make money on them so I guess it must be possible for a reasonable price.

Hennie

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tommy;

I am still waiting for Hennie to get over the "Star Appeal" from the Saleen Book and Mustang Monthly articles on him (joking) and rip the package apart.

I believe Hennie is going to get some addtional mounting brackets made so if you want a set, you should let him know. I hope he is still making me me a Steel set.

As soon as he gets that to me and a couple of pictures, then I will be off to the races. If I can get the items (13" front brake package from Saleen), I will put together an installation document and publish it via a PDF.

I hope it is soon as I can't stand the brake noise anymore.

Rick

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just finished the last bottle of champagne( I had to flush the kaviar), it is hard being recognised on every street, after all these features believe me......

live of a star isn't easy

But, Yes it will fit, I thought saleen wasn't selling the Alcon brakes anymore,you can also contact baer brakes, they offer the saleen kit incl the Logo (yellow on black calipers), and it will fit there are just a few modification to be made;

- center have to be widened, bolt holes need to be enlarged, top of the rotor must be milled and probably you will need to have the brakesline made by goodridge or another major brakeline supplier.

saleen did all these modifications as well, I know because I have contacted Alcon in England last year before I did mine.

Don't expect it to be as good as on the mustangs, as on the mustangs it is clearly that the weight is 1000 pnds less when you slam the brakes.

I feel the are almost too good for the mustangs and the Xp8 could use even a little more, but maybe I am just driving to agressive......

I will post the pics but I need to have some time to take it all apart, I am just to busy with my work now, sorry to keep you waiting.

Hennie

·
Registered
171 Posts
OH, and for the brackets I think once I have them made I will have 5 extra sets made, anyone who wants a set please send me a PM or send me an email at

[email protected].

Hennie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts