Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guyz....my 97 xlt is gona hit 90k
here real soon and i thought it might be a good time to switch over to synthetic. I've already got it (Mobile 1)and i'm ready to change it but i just wanted to know what u guyz thought about switching to synthetic and what to watch out for. I've heard of it loosening things the first time run and u should change it a little earlier just because of it breaking up the sludge from the other oil. So give me u guyz comments....thanx

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I thought if you're going to do synthetic, to switch at like 5,000 miles and never switch back. I believe you can get too high in mileage which would not be good if you switch. IMO I wouldn't switch to synthetic at 90k. Others might disagree with me but like I said that's IMO.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Switched at 50,000 and haven't had a problem in a year and a half.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WAHOO....lets just say she likes to run at 4500rpms very smothly, before i could hear my cam clatter a little...i'm impressed....and i extend the thankx to all u guyz for ur info....peace

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Adam, that is great to hear that your X is running even better with synthetic.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You should see slightly better gas mileage, too. I did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thankx guys....

-WilsonTheDog: better gas mileage is always a plus but i don't expect to see much from it but i might....thankx for the info

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've been running the same type of oil ever since I started driving. I use Union 76 Guardal 30 weight. Mine has 166,000 miles, and still doesn't burn a drop. My 89 Ranger went 238,000 miles and when we pulled the valve covers and heads, it still looked like it only had 30,000 miles on it (changed the gaskets only). My father and I always split the cost on a 55 gallon drum - we change my 3 vehicles and his 4. It was just easier that way.

I would recommend it over any of them - including synthetics... JMO of course...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I just switched to synthetic at 139k. It might be a bad thing, or a good thing, only time will tell I guess. It has had regular dino oil all of it's life, and I tried a synthetic blend about a year ago and it was fine. I just changed to full synthetic yesterday, so we'll see how it goes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool man....wecome to the club...i switched a few days ago...and welcome to the site man...peace

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah mine has a 174k miles on it I been putting the synthetic blend in it for the last few oil changes this time well yesterday I bought the Mobil one full synthetic and am going to do it next weekend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, thats what i'm running right now in mine Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic and i love it. I am so glad that i witched over, it seems to run nicer at 5,000rpms and i don't hear my cam as much. It also seems to be running much smother...i like it....hope u do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts