Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, whether its your 'street tire' or '4wheelin tire', what are the absolute BEST tires you've ever equipped for your Explorer (include dimensions if possible) and of course, the WORST tire.

Right now on my Sport with the stock 16" wheels, I am running on Michelin's, 75 treadwall, and they pretty much suck for the road - they're great in snow, mud, and dirt - but their grip on the road leaves to be desired. However, on our other Explorer, 16" wheels, we're running Toyo's with 70 treadwall, and these tires are PHENOMONAL. The grip on the road is like none other that I've ever dealt with, especially for the tire of its size. I highly recommend Toyo in this application.

Once my Cobra R's and tires arrive and are installed in this upcoming spring, I can give you my verdict on that.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
right now i have toyo proxes st 255/55/18, and they are amazing, im guna be putting on goodyear eagle gt2's and from what i hear are the bets 20inch tire for the X, im not sure what is on my parents explorer, but boy do they suck, i drove it in the rain about 2 weeks ago, and i started off from a redlight and just spun out, very bad traction

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your parents Explorer have 2WD or 4WD? How low is the tread on the tires? And of course the tire itself...all things to consider. And I've heard very very good things about Toyo Proxies.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Best tire so far: 235/70R16 Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV. Came stock on my X and I wanted to try them out anyway. They have great traction on all surfaces. My next set of tires will be Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos.

Worst tire: 225/70R15 stock size on my old 1995 Explorer. The tires were BFGoodrich Radial T/As. Good dry traction, horrible wet traction. Sidewalls are way to thin for that heavy of a vehicle. I didn't put them on, my grandfather did when it was his vehicle still. I do not recommend these tires for anyone.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Current Tire: 255/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's - Overall good tire great on the road and off road. Would recommend if you want a good "stock" tire

Past Tire: 31x11.5R15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw's - Great Off-road tire, but sucked on the road (if you have a daily driver). Would recommend if your a hard core off-roader.

Future Tire: 275/45/20 Cooper ZEON XST"s - Review coming soon

·
Registered
39 Posts
I personally think the wrangler rt/s are pretty bad. I have 30x9.5 revos waiting to be put on. i might do so in a month maybe. my dads pathfinder has the duler hp i believe, and they are much better than the wranglers.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally think the wrangler rt/s are pretty bad. ?I have 30x9.5 revos waiting to be put on. i might do so in a month maybe. ?my dads pathfinder has the duler hp i believe, and they are much better than the wranglers.

I have to second that motion. Before the Toyos my dad had those and they were terrible....no real traction especially compared to the Toyos...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think that the right tire depends on your particular needs. Sometimes there will be tradeoffs related to the choice you make. For years Explorers came stock with crappy Firestone or Goodyear all terrain type tires. I think all terrain tires were parts of the vehicles persona. Even though 90% of these vehicles may of went off road 10% of the time. The 2002 Explorer came with the Michelin Crossterrains. More street tire than off road. I though it was a big improvement. Until we put the 285/50-18" Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on the Silver X. What a difference! Cornering and road feel were vastly improved. The ride is firmer and they won't last as long. That is part of the trade off I was talking about. This vehicles see 100% street use. Now we had the same Pirelli's on 1994 Explorer X and we were happy until we went on vacation. We like to drive on dirt / gravel mountain roads up in Trinity. It was horrible, my family did not dig it. The ride was poor in the dirt, too stiff. It vibrated the whole vehicle. When it came to get new tires, we went with the Bridgestone Revo A/T. This is a great all around tire. It does not have the same crisp handling as the Pirellis when you push it. But is is better in the rain and in the dirt. Once or twice a year we do a little exploring and we need to have the right tire when we do.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Pirelli scorpians are the best suv tires for handling, and you ask why? Because i use them so they have to be. Especially since i'm a very aggressive driver.

I don't however believe they are so great in the snow or even the rain. I can blow all 4 tires loose in the rain till the truck shifts into second, and come around u-turns sideways (awd). They've also put a scare into me more than once in the rain, completely unexpectedly.

I will keep using them, but i am definetely more aware when it's raining.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pirelli scorpians are the best suv tires for handling, and you ask why? Because i use them so they have to be. Especially since i'm a very aggressive driver.

I don't however believe they are so great in the snow or even the rain. ?I can blow all 4 tires loose in the rain till the truck shifts into second, and come around u-turns sideways (awd). ? They've also put a scare into me more than once in the rain, completely unexpectedly. ?

I will keep using them, but i am definetely more aware when it's raining.

Damn, no offense I know they do handle excellent on dry pavement but if you're having those kind of situations as you mentioned in the rain, I'd seriously look into another high performance tire that has much better rain traction. That's just insanely dangerous, especially with a supercharger under the hood. You step on the gas a little too much and that s/c kicks in and that might make a big difference.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Don't worry rob, i won't wreck the truck, you'll get your chance to drive it, most of my situations are purposely induced, but there have been instances where i didn't do it on purpose, i probably shouldn't of made it sound so bad. Because it's really not, but if you are not performance orientated i'd bet there's better all season driving tires out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My current treads are Goodyear Eagle GTII's 275-45-20 which are wrapped around 20" Zinik Ikeda chrome blades. My winter treads are BF Goodrich Long Trail 265-70-16 wrapped around stock 3 star chrome wheels.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just put a set of 275/55/18 Michelin Cross Terrains on my 2002 Limited. The stock Goodyear Wrangler APs were crap. They didn't handle very well, and they were no good in rain, much less snow.

I really need tires that can handle snow, rain, and occasional mud and gravel. Thats why I went with 18s instead of 20s. So far, the Cross Terrains have been great, and they really help with the look of the X.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, you should definitely post some pictures of your ride jgt! And welcome!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks, Rob! This looks like a really great site.

I've just started to work on mods for my Explorer, and did the audio/video system a couple weeks ago. Check it out at:

http://members.cardomain.com/jgt02expltd

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh WOW! I recognize you now from FXN. MAN, I gotta say, I LOVE your Explorer! It's really refreshing to see DTM style rims on an Explorer, definitely different! It's mostly people with Cobra R's (like myself) or chrome/silver 20's. Those arent bad of course but I definitely like yours. Welcome!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow I really like those wheels on your Explorer!!!!! They look great!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ive had 17" 275-55-17 Nittos on the truck, personaly they were great at first but thn the road noise from them is just un-acceptable. They were always properly alligned but still I wouldnt go back.

I now have 18" rims with 255-50-18 Kumho STX's and WOW what a diffrence they made. QUIET and very sticky around the turns ... Ive taken a off-ramp at over 55MPH and they stick!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Holy thread resuscitation, Batman!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts